Fight the Bite: dispose of tires right!
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
The Volusia County Mosquito Control Division will host a tire amnesty event scheduled for Saturday, October 30, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on South Street in New Smyrna Beach. Only residential tires will be accepted, but there is a limit of twenty tires per person.
According to a release, the most important steps residents can take to help Fight the Bite include tipping containers at least weekly to remove standing water, tossing containers that are not in use, and wearing mosquito repellent to avoid mosquito bites.
Additional tips to prevent mosquito bites include:
- Toss bottles, cans, pots, and broken appliances.
- Turn over empty pots and buckets.
- Replace water in birdbaths and pet dishes at least once a week.
- Don’t overwater the lawn.
- Clean out eaves, troughs, and gutters.
- Drain water from boats and tarps.
- Maintain the proper chemistry in swimming pools.
- Empty plastic pools when not in use.
Call 386-424-2920 to learn more about mosquito control or submit a service request visit www.volusia.org/mosquito.