Fight the Bite: dispose of tires right!
Written by Kristen Schmutz
Belden Communications News
The Volusia County Mosquito Control Division will host a tire amnesty event scheduled for Saturday, April 2, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on South Street in New Smyrna Beach. Only residential tires will be accepted, but there is a limit of twenty tires per person.
Tire Amnesty events are the most important steps residents can take to help Fight the Bite and are part of the Keep Volusia Beautiful anti-littering campaign. The campaign focuses on events, education, and personal responsibility to help combat litter in Volusia County. Learn about ways to get involved at Volusia.org/litter
Residents can help combat mosquitos by tipping containers weekly to remove standing water, tossing containers that are not in use, and wearing mosquito repellent to avoid mosquito bites.
Additional tips to prevent mosquito bites include:
- Toss bottles, cans, pots, and broken appliances.
- Turn over empty pots and buckets.
- Replace water in birdbaths and pet dishes at least once a week.
- Don’t overwater the lawn.
- Clean out eaves, troughs, and gutters.
- Drain water from boats and tarps.
- Maintain the proper chemistry in swimming pools.
- Empty plastic pools when not in use.
Call 386-424-2920 to learn more about mosquito control or submit a service request visit www.volusia.org/mosquito.